1. Today it was sunny and in the 40s (omg, my face didn’t hurt when I walked outside!)
2. And G’s wheatgrass is up!
3. I did a private Beginner Yoga lesson today with a delightful woman who came in with a new mat (the absolutely worst mat she could have gotten, but oh well, she didn’t know.) And a matching yoga towel and a matching water bottle.
She said she didn’t know what to wear so she asked Siri. That made me laugh. I would have never thought to ask Siri what to wear to yoga, and now I am going to think about it the next time I am in any clothing dilemma.
(I can’t think of the last time I was in a clothing dilemma, though. I probably need to get out more.)
4. I am reading Gretchen Rubin’s new book, Better Than Before which is about mastering habits. It is freaking me out how alike we are. She did NaNoWriMo on a lark–so did I. She learned Scrivener to make her writing life easier–so did I. But though I have some strong “Upholder” qualities, I am mostly an “Obliger” in her system.
She says there are 4 basic types of people when it comes to habits: Upholders, who meet other people’s expectations as well as their own; Obligers who meet other people’s expectations, but not their own; Questioners, who question all expectations; and Rebels who resist all expectations. It’s fascinating, and a fun read. I love these kinds of books about habits, and the creative process, and how the mind works, and sane business strategies, and what motivates people. Can’t get enough of them. (And I have a whole stack of them at my elbow.)
5. I also got a kick out of this Clive Thompson talk about writing with a pencil versus writing on a keyboard. It made me remember my January retreat when I would go back and forth between the 2. (It also made me buy a box of Blackwing pencils and a sharpener!) In a weird moment of synchronicity, the day after I watched this talk, Shelly Clark came to class with a pencil holder filled with pointy Blackwing pencils for us to write down our intentions for yoga class.
6. On my way to Wegmans yesterday for my weekly shopping I listened to the James Altucher podcast in which he interviewed Maria Popova of Brainpickings.org. I loved her distinction between writing “content” on her blog and “substantive” writing. Her blog is an incredible resource for readers and if you are a reader you should check it out. I have found countless gems there.
These things made me happy this week, despite my prana depleted, de-caffeineated, itchy, dragon-eyed, still-snowy-in-March-what-the-fuck situation.
What made you happy this week? Any good finds or happenings? Refrain from sending sunny pictures of flowers, or palm trees, or green grass, though. I’ve seen enough of that on Facebook and it’s really enough, people. Have some sensitivity.
2 thoughts on “A Few Things That Made Me Happy This Week”
I started listening to Gretchen Rubin’s podcast, Happier, a few weeks ago and really enjoy them. She has recorded 5 of them so far with her sister. You can subscribe through ITunes or her website. Just thought you would be interested.
Thanks for the reminder! I am going to go and subscribe to her podcast right now. I am almost finished her latest book, “Better Than Before:Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives” and I really like it and I think you would like it, too.